The peppermint plant is a versatile perennial herb that has been cherished since ancient times. The plant’s first recorded appearance dates back to 1000 BC when dried peppermint leaves were found entombed in ancient Egyptian pyramids.1 Throughout human history, this herb has been valued as a multi-purpose plant and an essential oil whose components are now used by cosmetic, culinary, and health industries around the world. When you use it internally, Peppermint oil is also well known for its ability to help alleviate occasional upset stomach and promote healthy respiratory function.* With so many facets and uses, it is no surprise that Peppermint oil continues to be one of doTERRA’s best-selling and highly-favored essential oils.
Some Uses and Benefits of Peppermint Oil
- Instead of reaching for artificially flavored gum or candy when you need to freshen your breath, look to Peppermint oil to do the job. Mix a drop of Peppermint oil with a drop of Lemon essential oil in water, take a sip, and swirl it around in your mouth for a healthy, refreshing mouth rinse. The most beneficial ingredient in this mouth rinse is the menthol, a component found in Peppermint oil. Menthol has been used for centuries for its ability to cleanse and freshen. When you use a drop of Peppermint oil in your mouth rinse, the menthol is what gives it a fresh and minty kick. This powerful and fresh element is why Peppermint is found in many oral health products today. When using this Peppermint oil mouth rinse, you will experience a pleasurable, cooling feeling and you will walk away confident, knowing that your breath smells just as good as it feels.
- Peppermint oil is a culinary wonder and has been used to add a fresh boost to meals in kitchens all across the world. However, the use of Peppermint oil is not just limited to cooked dishes; it also makes a great addition to any smoothie. Try adding one to two drops of Peppermint oil to your favorite smoothie recipe for a burst of minty flavor. By adding the freshness of Peppermint oil to your morning smoothie, you can start your day feeling more refreshed than ever.
- Peppermint oil also turns plain water into a cooling and refreshing treat. When the summer heat seems to overwhelm you, add one drop of Peppermint oil with a cut fruit like strawberries or limes for a deliciously infused water. Peppermint oil makes a healthy addition to any drink because it helps promote healthy respiratory function and clear breathing, and by adding doTERRA Peppermint oil to something as simple as the water you drink, you encourage healthy respiratory function in your body* while simultaneously changing up the flavor to your drinks.
- Peppermint oil can be used aromatically to enliven the senses and promote a feeling of energy. This powerful oil can be extremely beneficial on its own, but when you add the right combination of essential oils to Peppermint oil, the synergy of the combination of oils leads to even more benefits. For example, try placing one drop of Peppermint oil in the palm of your hand, add one drop of Wild Orange oil and one drop of Frankincense oil, and inhale by cupping your hands over your nose. This simple aromatic recipe is perfect for a mid-day pick-me-up
- Looking for a long-lasting way to smell the sweet and minty aroma of Peppermint oil? Use this simple yet invigorating diffuser blend and enjoy this fresh aroma in your home, office, or classroom. To make this blend, combine two drops of Peppermint oil, three drops of Grapefruit, and two drops of Sandalwood into a diffuser. Using Peppermint oil in your diffuser will produce a cooling, invigorating vapor. Additionally, the grounding and mood-enhancing properties of Sandalwood and the uplifting benefits of Grapefruit will work well with the soothing and relaxing effects of Peppermint oil to produce an energizing and calming aroma that all will enjoy.
- The soothing components found in Peppermint oil make it a desirable oil for massages. Try adding Peppermint oil to your massage experiences and enjoy the pleasurable cooling feelings it brings to your skin while immersing yourself in its sweet and relaxing aroma. A great massage companion to Peppermint oil is Lavender. The combination of Peppermint oil and Lavender oil will produce optimal soothing feelings that will add to any massage. You can also try adding Peppermint oil to your shampoo or conditioner for a stimulating hair massage that will provide the pampering your scalp deserves.
- If you're finding more than your share of spiders or bugs in your home, Peppermint oil provides a perfect solution to ward off those creepy crawlers. Many bugs and spiders dislike the potent smell of Peppermint oil. Consequently, Peppermint oil is used as a home remedy to repel bugs naturally. Try placing one to three drops of Peppermint oil on a cotton ball and placing it in the corners of your bathroom, bedroom, kitchen, laundry room, or wherever you think these unwanted guests might be.
- Need to stay alert? Try Peppermint oil! If you or someone you know has trouble staying awake during the day and would like a natural method to feel alert, Peppermint oil used topically or aromatically can help. Because of the invigorating and cooling effects that pure Peppermint oil produces when it comes in contact with skin, Peppermint is an ideal oil for staying attentive and aware. In order to create this extra boost, place 1–2 drops of Peppermint oil on your fingertips and then rub your temples. The invigorating aroma of Peppermint oil will help give you the natural sense of alertness you desire when you need it most.